Monday, September 26, 2011

De-Cluttering My Home


Last week, our home was so messy, from the bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen, there are stuff everywhere. Lucy's toys dominate our living room area, kitchen counter is full, I can barely find a place to cut my fruits and vegetables, not just that there is only one counter space area that we can use. Our kitchen is small.

Have you had those moments when you just have too much things in your house and can't find a place, a serene place where you can sit down and relax without having to think of when is this place going to be clean? 

It's funny the messiness at our home also affects my days at work. At work, I stressed out so easily. I didn't know why I was so frustrated over little things that week. I looked around at my work table, I have a lot of tiny little things that I don't need, and I  told myself that all this habit of cluttering a space starts to follow me wherever I go.

So, I look up online how to de-clutter and create a space, a serene space where I can function well and not being frustrated over time. I came across California Closets video at Youtube.

Peter Walsh from California Closets mentioned that to start organizing your home is by creating a vision for a home and start asking yourself, "What do I want from this space, is my home giving me the thing that I want in terms of nurturing, warmth, motivation and focus." Then go from room to room and ask yourself, "does this item bring me closer to my vision or far away?"

After watching this video, I picked up everything that I know I don't need in my living room, put them in a laundry basket and store them temporarily in a different room. Once I do that, I started to see a better vision of what I want for my home. I put Lucy in her little bouncer, vacuumed the whole place, picked up and stored her toys away in a basket. Took away all of the things I didn't need and cleaned up the living room.

Once I vacuumed that area clean, I went to the main entrance, again, took everything that I didn't want in my console table, organized the shoes area and hide them in the closet. I wanted nothing else on my floor, no shoes, no trace of papers, and certainly no dust. Nothing on my console table except lamp and basket to put all of our keys. That's about it.

A few hours later, I found my home so clean, so free of clutter, all vacuumed and dust-free. My husband was happy with the new cleaned space. I also noticed that Lucy's attitude change towards the room. She was more playful, she can  pretty much crawl everywhere she wants, nothing that is within her reach worried me - if she's going to get hurt or if she was going to pick up anything from the floor and eat them without my knowledge.

That week helped me see that uncluttered home really makes a difference in my day-to-day routine. I functioned better as a mom, providing what Lucy needs, my husband loved staying at a clean home. We just need to keep maintaining that kind of environment forever!



“Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home.”
- John Howard Payne (1791 - 1852)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...